This weekend, my sweet husband went on the Men's Retreat with our church. All the guys traveled down to Glenrose, TX where they had a "Man-fest" as Doug likes to call it. Well, I'm a pretty independent gal...was single until the age of 30, lived alone for a time, not too easily terrified...or so I thought! How is it that now that I'm married, I am somehow not so independent anymore, and actually quite DEPENDENT on this Doug man? I kept myself busy for the majority of the afternoon yesterday, but as night began to fall last night I became very aware of my state of alone-ness. You see, usually, he's here with me. And I guess I didn't realize how much I do depend on him to be my protector...the one who will kill the bad guys when they try to come get us! So, I did what any smart home-alone girl would do...I watched two hours of crime drama. What the heck was I thinking? I tried to tell Jessica, "Oh no...those don't scare me...no problem...big girl...blah, blah, blah!" Well that was a bunch of bologna! As I finished the crimespree-athon, I suddenly became aware of every little noise that our house makes. The creeks, the cracks, the things that go "Bump" in the night. So, I devised a plan! If he wasn't here to protect me in the event that one of my crime-dramas should come to life...then I was just gonna have to fend for myself!
So that's why I needed to have this at my bedside...
And this IN THE BED with me...
And this rigged up to make lots and lots of noise when the bad guys tried to come break down my door...
What you really need to know, though, is that when I returned from my Women's Retreat last fall, I arrived to find Doug inside of THIS...
He was happy as a little clam!! He had all of the movies that he never gets to watch because I hate lined up for viewing. He had every linen pulled out of the closet to create the monstrosity of a fort pictured above. He had snacks. He had his jammies on. He was completely content. Not scared. Not neurotic. Not preparing for his own personal live version of Special Victims Unit to take place in his living room. Just happy and content. Go figure.
Needless to say, I was elated to see him home Saturday afternoon! I have my weapons secured for the time being!
3.10.2008
Armed and Dangerous!!
Posted by Holly at Monday, March 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am proud of you for staying at your own home....I probably would have ventured back to my parent's. I love SVU/Law and Order marathons. Miss you, Kim
I love that you thought the drying rack was going to protect you. :) Love you!
I can see the headline now..."Hospice Chaplain stabs intruder, then hits him with a bat, and then dries his clothes" : )
Post a Comment