Yesterday marked the 2 year Anniversary of this day...

On May 5, 2007 I had the wonderful joy and pleasure of marrying this wonderful guy, Doug~ who is aka "Sweetie", "Lovebug", "Kitty" and a host of other nicknames.
I went to find a card for him at Hallmark. I read about 50 of them, and in typical Holly fashion, was very vocal in my reaction to each one...loud laughter, sighing for sweetness, etc. It was just me and one other person, an elderly lady, on the aisle. I didn't think I was being that "expressive", but just as I picked up this card...
"Well sweetie, I've gotta see what's so funny down here." She held the card out about 4 feet from her face to be able to read it, read,"Hot Sex Now" louder than I would have hoped and sighed (which I first interpreted as disapproval). Then, to my surprise, she said the most wonderful thing.
She said, "Oh good dear! You've helped me pick out a card for MY husband! Our anniversary is tomorrow and I just hadn't been able to find one that truly expresses how I feel!"
She said, "Oh good dear! You've helped me pick out a card for MY husband! Our anniversary is tomorrow and I just hadn't been able to find one that truly expresses how I feel!"
She was not sarcastic.
She LOVED the HOT SEX NOW card!
And she put it in her basket to buy.
She tried to move on her merry way, but I stopped her because I just had to get somemore details on this gal.
"How long have you two been married?", I asked.
"Honey, it will be 55 years tomorrow!"
"Oh that's so wonderful!! Tell me the secret to having a long, happy marriage."
"You just treat him the way you like to be treated. Respect him. Love him. Oh, and don't ever let him get away with treating you any less than a queen!"
She went on to tell me how her husband still opens doors for her, helps her with her coat and would never dream of sitting down for supper until she's taken her seat.
"Manners, dear. Both of you mind your manners and it will all work out fine."
I guess that's a pretty excellent recipe coming from a woman married for 55 years, and who has a pretty good marriage at that (given the hot sex and all!)
That woman made my day!!!
In case you were wondering about the inside of the card...
...so very happy.
These are in no particular order...
He's relaxed. It takes ALOT to get this guy worked up!

He's very thoughtful...
He always tries to look his best...and does a great job!
He's a bit "racey". I never know what kind of surprises are going to be waiting around the house. The Nativity at Christmas stayed like this for DAYS before I even noticed it! Nice.
Which also proves that he's a bit backwards...

He's adventurous and helps me to be a bit more adventurous...
Parasailing...Yikes!
He's sporty and competitive.
He's creative and industrious...
He's a wonderful uncle to...
all of his nephews...
...and nieces!
He knows just about every song in the world, and is always ready to sing!
He's festive! This guy LOVES any chance to whip up a costume!
He's the best gift opener ever!
He makes me laugh...even in his sleep.
Turns out I don't have a picture to represent ALL of the reasons I love him. You should be happy about that, though! :)
Without pictures, I can only TELL you that Doug Steffensrud is one of the sweetest, kindest, most loving, faithful, committed, God-loving and precious people I have ever known.
I'm so happy he's my husband.

8 comments:
That was pure greatness. :-)
So super sweet! AND HYSTERICAL!!
I think I mention this every time I comment on your blog, but John and I really wish we could hang out with you guys more!! :)
That is lovely. Funny and lovely.
You guys are just the BEST fit! I am loving your latest Hallmark store story, Hots. Your one from college (or was that high school?) still sends me into laughing fits!
Happy Anniversary!
I love it! The card story is too much. I am so not surprised that you asked that sweet lady the secret to marriage. You crack me up! Hope to see you soon!
Love you and Happy Anniversary!
Kim
How neat to get some advice from an expert!! Happy Anniversary!! Our two year is just a few weeks away!
What a beautiful post Hots!
I love that Dougie boy too and I am so thankful you two are a great fit. I love the nativity pic :)
Miss you! Hard to believe we live in the same zip code!!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! Wishing y'all lots of happy and blessed times together!
Loved the post - had me laughing so hard. Wish I would have found that card :)
Lots of love to y'all~
Post a Comment