5.21.2009

We celebrated our anniversary with a trip to the Sea...

...WORLD!
Last year at this time, we were taking off for Mexico to celebrate our first anniversary. But, with the swine flu and oh yeah, the fact that we're poor, we decided to bring it down just a couple of notches this year. :)
Last weekend, we had a truly wonderful time in San Antonio.
I don't know about you, but I think half the fun of any road trip is the getting there...especially when you're riding with your favorite person...
We left on Friday afternoon after work and had the best drive down. Not only did we somehow manage to avoid all of the traffic, but we laughed and sang and just enjoyed each other.
On our way we had a great visit with my sister Leslie and Andrea after enjoying a fab meal at the Hula Hut in Austin. (*Sidenote: My Mom later asked, "How was your time at the Hula Hoop?"...She was serious. Seriously funny.)
Then we arrived at our hotel.
**I've gotta give a little plug for the place we stayed in case any of you with kiddos are planning to travel to Seaworld. We stayed at the Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott (1 mile away from Seaworld). It is brand new, totally reasonably priced, nice and includes a full continental breakfast AND a shuttle ride to Seaworld, saving you $15 for parking!)**
Then we enjoyed a great day at Seaworld.


Even in the rain!
Yes, we are totally tourists. We followed the pack and bought the $400 rain ponchos. It did make the day MUCH better though. And I think it's really a pretty good look, don't you?

The first great thing we saw was the "Viva" show. They started it one time, but had to stop and put a delay on it due to the storms. There are high-flying acrobats in the show and apparently thost don't mix well with lightning. But, the delay turned out to be great because they kept the beluga whales in the tank and we were able to go down and look at them upclose AND talk to the trainers! I loved it!!!
Listen to the greatest fact I learned about beluga whales...
The mother beluga is a pale white color. Her babies are dark grey.
Reason: Scientists believe that the babies are darker in color so that they can swim in their mother's shadows without being seen by predators.
I know you'll be shocked to hear that I burst into tears upon hearing this and turned to a stranger next to me and exclaimed with tears running down my face, "God just thought of EVERYTHING!"
She looked at me like I was nuts and said, "Uh huh."
Then, she ran away.
Next, it was time for a second dose of awesome...the dolphins!!
Not only were we THIS close to them...


WE GOT TO FEED THEM!!! I was beside myself!


Even with the rain, Seaworld was great! I would TOTALLY recommend it to anyone...those with kids and without! It's a treat. Yes, Meggan, a treat!

Next stop...La Mansion del Rio. On Saturday night, we stayed at this beautiful hotel on the Riverwalk. It was fabulous!

We had a great dinner at Paesano's.

And when we returned, this was delivered to our room in celebration of our Anniversary! So nice!

On Sunday, we walked the Riverwalk, enjoyed another great meal (Acenar) and made our way back home.


What a great trip this was!!!

9 comments:

Meggan and Trent said...

Uh-huh - you can have your treat. :) Now the restaurants you went to I can get on board with. :) God thought of EVERYTHING is still my favorite line of the week!

Cole and Christy said...

Meg, you don't like Sea World? I heart Sea World, so glad you had fun!

LynnAnn said...

Next time it's raining you call me. My rain ponchos are only $384.

Meggan and Trent said...

I have never actually been there - so it really isn't fair of me to say I don't like it. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea though...:)

Mallie&Brandon said...

What a fun trip. You look so cute.

nancy said...

dear cute cousin holly,
you celebrate life with more joy and enthusiasm than anyone i know! your blogs are always a bright spot in my day! and yes, i love it that "God thought of everything!" congrats to you and doug on your 2nd anniversary. many happy returns! and--your mother's day luncheon was such a pretty, festive occasion! you all are enjoying wonderful times! we are overdue on a visit! hope to see you soon!
xoxo

Sydney said...

I am so glad you told me earlier that you had updated your blog- I loved this post and laughed so loud picturing you turning to the girl beside you. You are a mess!

Happy 2nd anniv!!

carridawn said...

So glad that y'all had a great trip! Makes me miss our old stompin' ground!!! Those are some of our favorite places. Our ponchos were bright neon orange from our rainy day at Sea World. Maybe we should go jump in the puddles in Dallas together with our bright colored Sea World ponchos on and make everyone jealous! ;) I LOVED your statement about that God thought of everything. AWESOME!

Anonymous said...

you are so funny!!!! I love this blog! God thought of Everything is true but your ability to tell stories and make people like me laugh over the internet is a gift!!!