I just wanted to quickly share something that happened yesterday. The more I think about it, the more amused I become. Yesterday morning, I was just checking email. I came across an email from a friend of mine asking me to join "Tagged". I'm thinking this is probably similar to Facebook or MySpace. Anywho, the first page of the email read, "Will you be "so and so's" friend...if you don't click Yes, she'll think you said No" (or something to that effect. Well, being the good friend that I am, of course I clicked Yes. I just figured I could click yes, and keep going about my day. Well, as I came to the next page, it looked as though there was going to be a message to me from my dear friend, but in order to read it, I would have to "sign in". So, I did. BIG MISTAKE...BIG! Little did I know that when I "signed in", this email would pull up my entire Yahoo address book, and conveniently check each name for me. Of course, being in a hurry, I did not bother to scroll down and see that all 257 names in my address book were checked MEANING that in moments, they too were going to receive the email. You see where this is headed. Well, after a moment or two, I could not find a message from dear friend, so I decided to just click out and move on. When I got to back to my inbox, I started seeing a flood (and I mean, a flood)of emails...some from folks I visit with daily...some from folks I haven't visited with in YEARS...some from folks I don't even know. Well, of course they were all replying to this request I had just sent out beckoning people to "be my friend and if they don't click Yes, I'll think they said NO". I quickly realized that this email had gone out to EVERYONE...and by everyone, I mean friends, colleagues, seminary professors, the pastor of my church, my gynecologist, my chaplain contacts at multiple hospitals around the US, my cat's veterinarian, the lady who made our wedding cakes, the president of the Baptist General Convention of Texas...you get the drift...EVERYONE. Well, it was not as though I had just sent out a picture from the front page of Hustler magazine or something BUT, I imagine that many who received it probably wondered (including my own boss) WHY on earth I was playing "Tagged" at 9:45 in the morning!...As many of you know, I promptly sent out a "Please disregard" email to let people know that they need not stop their busy day to "be my friend". This event can be added to what's turning into a long list of Internet/email Ooops! for me. Other favorites include the email I sent congratulating a friend on her pregnancy. The only problem was that I mailed it to another person who has the same name, and is going through fertility problems. Great. I've also invited people who I am not close with to small, intimate dinner parties just because I did not pay attention when "inserting my addresses"...that was fun too! All this to say, don't ever recommend me for a job doing email correspondence!
1.24.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
I am laughing so hard at this!!! You crack me up!
You have Dr. Z's email??
:)
Why on earth is your gyno and the pres. of the BGCT in your address book?
I love this story!
This is such a Holly story. Not as good as they laryngectomy story, but good. Ummm.... why are you emailing your Gyno? I mean, Z is great, but what could she possibly take care of via email??
Syd
This is hilarious. I kinda chuckled when I read your please desregard email, but I had no idea! I love that I can hear your voice in your writing! Thanks for always bringing a smile to my face!
For the record, I DON'T have my gyno's personal home email address. It was sent to her office, and the reason I had that in my address book was b/c I once had to send some info. to them via email...and also because I'm nuts.
I love the fact that possibly your professor of "Herman's Neutics" may have gotten this email! And the fact that now you have to explain why you have your gyno's email address. I had to read this to Eric and he laughed so much!
Post a Comment