1.29.2008

I'm a hazard to myself...

So, last night I had big plans of making one of our favorite chicken spagetti recipes. I was about 3/4 of the way through with cutting my bell pepper, when SLICE...off with the thumb! No, not really! But, I initially thought that I had removed the entire top of my thumb above the nail (yes, I know...thanks for the gory detail). Well, as thumbs like to do, mine immediately started to GUSH blood. I was screaming for my husband, and just knowing that I was gonna pass out and he was probably in the shower. After the third scream (I think I'm going to have his hearing checked), he appeared. We had a bit of a time getting the bleeding contained, and were both wondering what to do (I guess it's good that we don't have children yet, huh?) I said, "Call one of our Moms!" He said, "Okay, but they're gonna freak out." I said, "Call Sydney...she'll know what to do!, so he did. But, unfortunately we called at right about bath time, and I bet she had babies in the tub. So, then I said, "Go ahead...Call my mother!" By this time, my finger was really aching, and I just knew we were going to be spending the rest of the evening at a doc in the box. Well, it was no surprise to me that my Mom appeared within about 2.5 minutes after Doug hung up the phone. I tried to explain to him how Mom's move quickly when one of their babies is hurt! We both agree that next time there is a disaster, we will call Donna before calling 911! Her response time is MUCH quicker!! Dr. Donna appeared and quickly evaluated the thumb (what's left of it, that is!...No, just kidding, it's not THAT bad!) She felt like we could wrap it up tightly and save ourselves a trip to the doc in a box. In no time, she and my husband had me bandaged up, Advil-ed up and ready to roll! Then, later, my sweet husband rigged up this very high tech, water proof thumb cover for showering purposes! He's so handy! Or thumby! Ha ha ha! Also, my Mom finished my dinner preparations (with a different knife of course). Pretty exciting evening at our house!! Oh yes, I would also like to add that this is like the 18th time in our first 8 months of marriage that I have had an accident, ailment, or illness. Doug definitely has learned the truth of the "In sickness and in health" vow after my THREE violent stomach viruses, one slam of the finger in the car door, a hurt arm (oh yes, that happened after I was scrubbing our bathtub for like 20 minutes), and now...the thumb, among other things! Sorry honey!

The thumb...
 


 
And then, for the shower, the "thumb protector"...

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sydney said...

Oh no!! I saw that I had a missed call on my caller ID with no message, so I didn't call back. So sorry I missed the emergency but so glad you got your sweet Mommy to help. Call me ANYTIME!!
Glad you still have your thumb! Love you! Syd

Kim and Eric said...

Sad, but glad to know that your thumb is still with us. It would be awful not having the thumb when you play "where is thumbkin" with your kids someday. Love the shower wrap too! He's a genius! Kim