Last weekend, we traveled to Pleasant Hill, California for Doug's Grandpa's funeral. Grandpa Steffensrud had been sick for awhile, and finally got to go home and be with the Lord. He was such a wonderful man...witty, charming, smart, a total flirt, loving and most of all a person who truly loved God and his family. 


Our trip was somewhat of a whirlwind, and I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I wish I had. I did want to share a few from the funeral service itself as it was such a special and meaningful time. Since Grandpa served in the US Army, military honors were awarded at his funeral serive.
If you've never seen this as part of a funeral, it's amazing. Two officers come in and do a ceremony that involves unfolding and folding of the US Flag. Taps is played, and it's very solemn, but so powerful. What we were not expecting at all was that the flag would be presented to Doug! It was incredibly emotional and wonderful. The flag would have been presented to Doug's Dad, Dick, if he were still alive. Doug received it as the eldest of the 4 Steffensrud grandsons.
These are most of the Steffensrud cousins pictured with Uncle Bob and Uncle Russ, Doug's Dad's brothers.
Doug, Cheryl and Faye (Doug's Sister and Mom)
I feel so proud to be a Steffensrud!
What an incredible family heritage that I can't wait to pass on to our children and grandchildren someday! Thank you, Grandpa Steffensrud, for living a life that made your family feel so proud and blessed.

4 comments:
I am so sorry for your family's loss. He sounds like a wonderful man. What wonderful memories though!
I remember when my mom's family was presented with the flag at my grandfather's funeral. Very special and moving!
Sweet post Hotsie. I love Doug and the flag story.
Hey, how did you get your labels at the bottom of your pics?
Hey Holly! Thank you for the tribute to Grandpa ~ I am so sorry I could not be there with the rest of the family.
p.s. ~ Ben is not the 1st great grandchild! Ben is actually the last out of 8 so far! Hugs to you all ♥
Love this post! What a great legacy y'all have to pass on to your kids! Love you and miss you.
Post a Comment