For those of you who grew up or live in A-town, this is a building that is probably familiar to you.
This is, or shall I say WAS, Braum's Ice Cream store. They have been in business for at least 30 years. Some of my first memories of living in A-town are of this place.
Mallie, remember the old timer who had his own table there right by the door? He wore a bolo and a cowboy hat, and I guess he came to Braum's EVERY NIGHT because when he died, there was a wreath on the table in remembrance of him. Once, I dropped my ice cream cone on the floor, and he bought me a new one.
This was the place that we always came to after church and school events...or just on no particular Tuesday when ice cream was all that could make the day better. (This might explain the reason for my other blog!) Anyway, all this to say that this Braum's holds alot of memories for me, and probably for most of you other A-towners as well. But don't despair, if you drive down the street about two blocks, you'll find the NEW Braum's! It's large and fancy...but it's just not the good 'ol Braum's we've known for 30 years.
I know some of you are saying, "Thank goodness! That old Braum's was disgusting!" Well, it wasn't disgusting when I was a 4 year-old! And I secretly didn't think it was ever disgusting...despite the fact that sometimes it was a little disgusting!
One more thing...you know how you could always walk into Braum's and see somebody you knew? Well when we went in the NEW Braum's the other night, we saw not one familiar soul in the whole place. Sad, sad. Like I said, the end of an era.
At least they haven't messed with Luby's. That would probably wreck my life and all the memories I hold dear.
11.14.2008
The End of an Era
Posted by Holly at Friday, November 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


6 comments:
yeah! 1 time I found a nasty hair in my ice cream at this location-sick!
I remember that old man, too! I get sad every time I drive by the old Braums. And it has only been closed for 6 days!
But will the milk still taste better than heaven? And be cheaper than Walmart?
Love this post! I just put mine up tonight, I had to wait for new pics from tonight's visit. But I have seen lots of people we know!
Oh, and LAP (or do you go by LAB now??) yes the milk is still wonderful and hormone free :)
Yes, I remember him. I think he always handed out quarters, or did he do a magic trick with a quarter. That is so sad, I guess I have not been that way in awhile, I had no clue!
I saw the massive, sparkling new Braums this weekend. It definitely is NOT the same. I wonder how many kids dropped their ice cream on a daily basis - I think I did it twice. I remember seeing the wreath, too.
Post a Comment