11.09.2007

Nothing like a sister...

 
Yesterday, I had the rare privilege to talk with BOTH of my sisters. We are all three busy with life and don't get to visit nearly as much as we wish we could. But today, I got lucky and talked with Allie and Leslie. It is always a treat to talk with them. We share stories and laugh, laugh, laugh!! If you have sisters, you know what I'm talking about when I say there's nothing like a sister! There is something incredible about the bond between sisters. Leslie and Allison are two years apart, and then I came along SEVEN years later...surprise!! For many years, it felt like I was an only child because they were so much older than me. It seems like when I got into my 20's, though, the age span thinned out considerably! Now that I'm 30, it feels as though I've caught up with them. I have many wonderful memories of growing up with two older sisters...snuggling in bed together on Christmas Eve, watching "All My Children" together (even though I'm sure we weren't supposed to), taking MANY road trips in the family station wagon. (Just a sidenote: I always got crammed into the "way back" with the dog and the luggage, while they shared the middle seat...and people say that the baby is spoiled!) I can remember when we dropped Leslie off at UT Austin. We cried and cried as we left big sister at college. And then, it was time to drop Allie off at Baylor. And you know what that means...the baby was left at home with the "old goats", as we so affectionately called our parents!
I don't think a day goes by that I don't think about my sisters. I recall a memory from the past, or I think about the future and look forward to what it holds for us. I always hope for a time when we will live closer to each other and get to share more of our lives with each other. But, no matter where I go or what I do, there are two other women out there in the world who are connected to me, not just by blood and similar facial features, but by experiences, memories, happy times as well as sad. I must tell you that if I were to make a list of my heroes, there are two names that would be right at the top of the list...they are my sisters.

Posted by Picasa

0 comments: